August 7, 1846
An article from the St. Mary’s (Ohio) Sentinel tells of the arrival of 385 slaves, given freedom by John Randolph. They were encamped in the town of Bremin. A crowd gathered, and after discussion and maneuvers, the freed people are finally removed….. “men will not quietly submit to have their farms and hard earnings of the best portion of their lives to be rendered worthless by the settling down amongst them of a colony of manumitted slaves….”
Comments are closed.