The Old Hancock House

The Back Bay Land Commissioners have, with the approval of the Governor of Mass., given a lot on the corner of Newbury and Caledonian streets, as a site for the Old John Hancock House, and the city will defray the expenses of removal, the heirs having presented the building to the city. It will be taken down carefully and rebuilt, and then occupied as a museum – the public to have access to it on certain days.

(Liberator, June 19, 1863, pg 4)